How to Cook Gajar Halwa
Nov 06, 2018
Diwali is here, and so are the plethora of sweet dishes, right from Besan ka ladoos and Barfis to Anarsas and Halwas. Right up there on the delicious quotient, features the highly sinful Gajar ka Halwa. Almost all of us have grown up on this delish dessert at home, and we always have our favourite version as made by our mom or a loved one.
This Diwali, why don’t you change the age-old tradition of being served this dish of delicacy, and instead make the gajar ka halwa for the one who always made it for you. Don’t worry about pulling it off. We have got your back by bringing you an easy gajar halwa recipe.
|Serves: 4||Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins|
|½ L||Full fat milk|
(240 ml cup size)
|4 – 5||Green cardamom pods (skinned and finely powdered)|
|Handful||Cashews, pista and almonds (chopped up)|
Pro Tip: Always choose young and tender carrots for your halwa. This makes a difference in the taste and is also easier to grate.
- Peel and grate the carrots with a hand grater or a quality food processor.
Take a heavy-bottomed pan and bring the milk to a boil on a low flame. Pro tip: Use an iron kadhai or a non-stick kadai to make the halwa.
- Now, add in the grated carrots and start stirring continuously. Ensure that the burner is always on a low mode.
- Keep cooking until the milk completely reduces and evaporates. Make sure it doesn’t stick to the sides or get burnt in the process by continuously stirring.
- When the milk reduces to almost 75%, add in the ghee, sugar and powdered cardamom to this mixture.
Keep stirring and cooking on a low flame. The halwa will be simmering at this stage. Keep cooking till all the milk evaporates and the halwa thickens.
- Finally, garnish with the chopped nuts before serving.
The beauty of this halwa is that it can be served warm as well as chilled. Everyone has their favourite style of eating this. Though we suggest, a piping hot bowl of gajar halwa topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Who wouldn’t want a piece of this deliciousness?
In case you are looking for the desired kitchen appliances required to make this dish, just head over to the Bajaj Electricals site to browse and buy them at affordable rates.
CommentsBe the first one to comment. See all Hide