How to Make Chicken Biriyani in a Pressure Cooker
Oct 29, 2018
There are many a times when you crave something delicious and yet do not want to slog hours cooking it. You reach for the phone, but remember that you had promised to avoid ordering out for a few days. In such a scenario, we bring you an easy chicken biriyani recipe that can take care of those hunger pangs and woo you with its deliciousness.
Not much of a cook? Well, then this Hyderabadi style chicken biriyani is just the right recipe to try your hands on. With the festive time right around the corner, this will be the perfect way to show off your cooking prowess to your loved ones. You can even plan an entire lunch for the people who generally cook for you. It could be your mom, your roommate or any person who cares for you. This could be your way of gifting a festival to them.
|Serves: 5||Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins|
|1 inch||Cinnamon stick|
|4 – 5||Cloves|
|2 – 3||Green cardamoms|
|½ tsp.||Shahi zeera|
|750 – 800 gm||Chicken (cleaned thoroughly)|
|5 tbsp.||Oil or ghee|
|4 - 5 large||Onions (finely sliced)|
|4 – 5||Green chillies (slit)|
|1 tbsp.||Ginger and garlic paste|
|3 tbsp.||Coriander (chopped)|
|7||Mint leaves (chopped)|
|1 tsp.||Red chilli powder|
|½ tsp.||Turmeric powder|
|1 tsp.||Garam masala powder / Biriyani masala powder|
|1 tbsp.||Biriyani masala powder|
|½ tsp.||Black pepper powder|
|650 gm||Aged Basmati rice|
|As per taste||Salt|
- Take a mixing bowl and marinate the chicken with yogurt, ginger - garlic paste, 1 tsp. biriyani masala powder or garam masala powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Set this aside in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Pro tip: We recommended making gashes on the chicken and marinating it overnight (not more than 12 hours) for the juices to really seep through.
- Wash the basmati rice till the starch is gone and the water is clear. Let it soak for 30 mins, then drain the water (In case you are using regular rice, then water content will differ accordingly).
- Take the pressure cooker, and heat ghee or oil in it. Add all the dry spices and temper and sauté them for a while.
- Add the sliced onions and fry them on low heat till they turn brown.
Pro tip: Fry and keep additional onions aside to garnish on the final dish. This will give you that restaurant-style wow factor.
- Add the marinated chicken and sauté for 5 – 10 mins on medium heat. Then cook on a low flame till the chicken is cooked through. Make sure that there is no extra water in the cooker by sautéing for a minute.
- Now, add the yogurt, green chillies, pepper powder, red chilli powder, 1 tbsp. biriyani masala and the desired quantity of salt. Cook this masala till the oil starts to separate.
- Spread the chicken evenly at the bottom of the pressure cooker. Now layer the rice evenly over the chicken.
- Take 5 cups of water in a bowl and add salt to it. It must taste slightly salty. Now, pour more than half of this on the sides of the cooker and the remaining on the top of the rice. Make sure that the rice is levelled again.
- Sprinkle chopped mint and pudina leaves on top. Now cove the lid and pressure cook it in medium flame.
- Make sure to cook for only 1 whistle. Once the pressure goes down by itself, remove the lid.
- While serving ensure that you include all the layers of the biriyani. Garnish with fried onions, mint and coriander.
Serve the piping hot biriyani with some raita, papad and a smile. This festive season, not only have you done yourself proud but also delighted your loved ones!
To get your hands on all the kitchen appliances required to make this easy chicken biriyani dish, just visit our site here.